Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Hoo-gah




Hoo-gah. Excuse me?  No, I am not coughing or clearing my throat!  😏


Hoo-gah is the pronunciation of the Danish word "hygge".   I had never heard of "hygge" until a few days ago, when I read a book called, "The Cozy Life" by Pia Edberg.

"Hygge" according to Ms. Edberg is "the Danish concept of coziness...    ...the art of creating warmth, comfort, and wellbeing through connection, treasuring the moment, and surrounding yourself with the things you love."  (Think: candles, fireplaces, blankets, warm drinks, reading, playing board games, family meals, nature walks, letter writing)

I was thinking as someone who suffers from SAD (seasonal affective disorder: a type of depression that occurs with the change of season each year) or sometimes maybe it's just the "winter blues", that incorporating more of this concept in my life would be particularly helpful and cheering at this time.

I think some people ( I am thinking, specifically, of some dear Christian ladies I know) understand this concept innately and already include this way of living in their daily lives. Some of them when you walk into their homes you can just feel the coziness wrap around you like a warm hug.  Not because they own expensive things...generally its the opposite.  Its usually the slightly worn, older things, maybe handmade things that give the space it's charm.  They are not cluttered and more minimalistic.  They have things that they love and find beauty in.  

And while this is not a totally "new" concept to the rest of us, we all enjoy cozy, warm, quiet times and  things of beauty , we just have to work a little harder to create this kind of experience and atmosphere.  But doing these things and incorporating these things into our lives is not difficult.   It takes some thought and some discipline but I do believe the benefits are worth it. 

We had game night this past Saturday and it was fun and relationship building.  We had pizza and talked and laughed over the games.  Took a little (very little) planning and we had a and awesome hygge evening.   No electronics , just family, food and fun. 

When I homeschool with my daughter who is very nervous, I play soft instrumental music in the background and we do it in my bedroom where there is a lot of natural light and has a cozy feel to it.   And I try to bring a very patient and calming attitude.  All these things help make a supportive , hygge atmosphere for us to work in.

So, you can see even though I didn't know the Danish name for this concept I was already trying in some ways to have that "cozy" atmosphere in my home.  I definitely think I could do more though.  My house could use some more hygge.  And I would like cut down on my Internet time and spend more time with people in the flesh or write a real letter.   But again these are not difficult things but do require some planning.

I think this concept lends itself to a home that celebrates family and friends and that has more gratitude for the provisions and blessings that the Lord supplies. We focus more on God's creation and bounty then worldly preoccupations and entertainment.

So put away the iPhone, the Kindle (that's one of my hygge robbers), and turn off the computer.  Instead, light some candles, put on some soft music and then enjoy a homemade dinner with your family. Have a family game night with popcorn and hot cocoa. Or grab your favorite blanket, a hot cup of tea and read a good book.   Cook a big pot of soup and invite some friends over to help you eat it. Snuggle up with your husband in front of the fireplace and talk or just be quiet together. Read the Bible with your family.  Go outside and build a snowman and make snow angels, have a snowball fight.  Bring in pinecones to your house and enjoy the aroma.

As we face this cold, and darker season practice hygge to help you and your family fight the "blues".
What other things could you do to create hygge in your home?




                                   
    Bake a pie (or 2? or 3? or maybe 6 ?!?)                    Do you want to build a snowman?
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Just smelling the warm smell coming from a neighbors wood stove makes me want to snuggle under a blanket and read to a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina. I know you are one that naturally includes "Hyyge" in her life.

      Delete